Cholesterol Lowering Drugs / Statins
Cholesterol lowering drugs, more commonly known as statins cause deleterious effects.
Several studies suggest that reduction of total cholesterol in serum by CLD is accompanied by a decrease of coronary heart disease (CHD), but not total mortality. Low serum cholesterol has been correlated to poorly understood morbidity.
CLD can cause serious side effects, some which result in discontinuation or dose reduction.
- chest pain,
- upper respiratory tract infections,
- severe rhabdomyolysis (the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue),
- renal failure,
- severe fatigue,
- fibromyalgia-like pain,
- high cancer risk,
- weight gain,
- diminished libido and erectile dysfunction,
- memory loss,
- brain damage and dementia
- and, last but by no means least, death – not a good place to be!
CLDs do not resolve the problem of heart disease – they do not get the root cause.